Friday, January 6, 2012

Blessing and a Curse

Funny thing about the desire to write, it can be so fulfilling and such a curse.

I've always enjoyed the fact that these ideas for stories play out in my mind. The characters become like friends. You really feel you get to know them. It becomes like watching a movie as you follow them through their story. Their choices leave you on the edge of your seat, and you feel their emotions as they battle with their problems and obstacles.

Having all those plots swirling around in your head is even better than reading, because you can interact with them. If something happens that you don't like,  you get to fix it. You can change the tone of the story. You can add new characters. You can change where the action takes place. It's a little like the Choose your own Adventure books I read as a kid. You make a decision as the story progresses and so you determine how the story ends.


The curse is how isolated it can make you. How do you explain to other people what goes on in your mind? They'd think you were crazy. Sometimes you think you are crazy as you find yourself growing so attached to your characters. I spend a lot of my time at my computer typing away as I try and get all the happenings down on paper.

At times, it might feel as if life passes you by as hours can disappear in a blink. Then I just remember what I have created. I can go back over the passages and bring those characters to life in ways that often surprise me. The best times are when I've logged several hours of writing. Then the next day I go back and read over what I wrote and find myself becoming engrossed in my own words. When I am amazed sometimes at what I have created, I know that I have my characters help in doing what I do.

I can't imagine not writing every day. I can't understand how other people don't go around with ideas just begging to be written. I guess it makes sense because I don't know how someone can dunk a basketball or throw a 100 mph fastball. We all  have our gifts, talents or curses. The one I have allows me to share all those rantings in my mind. I believe that I am blessed.

11 comments:

  1. I understand you even if I'm not really a writer. I love to write young-adult stories and I'm so engrossed in what I'm doing that I forget what's around me. I would love to have more time to spend with my characters and my many ideas but I can't. Creating can be tough, but if you love what you're doing everything is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely understand this. It's hard to be so passionate about something like your characters and have someone wonder "well why is that so important, it's just a story?" That's why I tend to do my writing when I'm alone, then I'm free to create (and to talk out loud to help me work through details, do you do that at all?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true!! Oftentimes I will write for eight hours and hate what I just did...then come back the next day and be surprised at how good it is. I love the ability to adjust your characters and plotlines. Sometimes I think of it as re-writing the best book you ever read...your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. Thank you!

    :)
    Danielle
    http://knowntoread.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all of you for stopping in and leaving a note. It is great how so many of us writers and nonwriters feel alike, but just don't realize it.

    I think no matter how crazy things seem, at least we are all passionate about something and that is what really matters. It's all about finding your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing that, Bridget. You are definitely not alone with that gift of yours. There's plenty of us crazy people around! ;)
    I am writing my third novel as we speak, but my 11 hr day job makes it tough to write and network. Last year I didn't write any fiction at all because of this. Instead, I spent the whole year doing promotion. Having a second novel already done was one reason. Now that it is in the editing stage, I'm back to writing again.

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, I can't imagine not getting to actually write anything for that length of time. Even if I am struggling with my current WIP, I usually have some other idea nagging at me that I can scratch out. It's good to know I'm not alone in the craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, thanks for sharing this! :) I don't write, but I'm way too passionate about many other things, and when I talk about them, people think I'm nuts.

    Found your blog through Making Connections, new follower!

    Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad that you enjoyed it. It is something we can all understand. It's wonderful to know I'm not the only one that drives my family and friends crazy!

    Thanks for following, Monaliz!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! It is quite nice to have so many characters and stories living inside you... Although I do try not to talk to them in public. That would let people know how truly deep my problem goes.

    TK

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, TK!

    I know, you have to watch out when you start arguing with them because most people would never understand.

    ReplyDelete