Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My hidden talent

I'm great at something. It's not often I can admit that or even accept it. Usually, I'm shy about tooting my own horn as the saying goes, but not about this. I am great at procrastination. I mean really awesome at it!

Anything that I can put off until tomorrow, I will. If I can accomplish two things in a day, I won't. Why do two if you can do one or none? What makes me so very good as a procrastinator is the creativity I use to avoid tasks. If I'm supposed to be writing, I don't simply get away from my computer to cook dinner or clean house. Oh no, that would be becoming productive at another task, and that simply won't do. I don't stay on the computer and work on promoting the book that is finished. Again, I might actually accomplish something there, so I have to be careful. Nope, when I'm in procrastination mode, I do things like spend a couple of hours on YouTube. I'll flip on some music and go play Bejeweled, Text Twist or some other free online game.

Yesterday, I slipped and went to YouTube to share the Muppets doing Bohemian Rhapsody with someone that hadn't seen it before. Now, a productive person would have closed the window, mission accomplished, and went on to writing or reading. Me? Heck no! I spent the next two hours watching old music videos for Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Hinder, 3 Doors Down, Theory of a Deadman -- well, you get the picture.

Don't misunderstand, I'm very handy at multiasking. I just never said that all my multiple tasks were productive. I was listening to the audiobooks of the Fever Series again, it had been a while and I needed a Barrons fix. Most people use audiobooks to pass the time of a commute, get in some exercise or some other productive activity. Me? I played Bubble Town on MSN games to win a new badge for my collection. Am I talented or what?

I love to write and when I get on a roll, words just flow onto the page nearly effortlessly. Then there are those days when I work just as hard to avoid the flow and put my procrastination tools to work. You'd think someone who has characters talking to her in her head would have enough distractions and wouldn't need the considerable talent of procrastination, but what can I say? I'm gifted.

What are some of your favorite time wasting activities? Feel free to share, I might add them to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment