Thursday, February 16, 2012

Voices in my head

I find myself with a decision to make. I'm in the middle of putting out my fantasy series, The Chronicles of Vlandamyuir, with book two nearly complete. Ideas for book three are festering and waiting for me to start getting them down on paper. However, I also have a couple of ideas for other stories poking at me. Both are in new genres and I wonder, should I ignore them until I've gotten my fantasy series finished or should I take some time between fantasy books and work on these other ideas?

Don't get me wrong, when I say ignore...those pesky voices just don't go away...I mean I jot down the scenes in my head, sketch out some dialogue that just won't be silent, but for the most part I try and keep my focus on the book in front of me. I don't like to read more than one book at a time, it is even harder trying to write more than one book at a time.

So, I keep a notebook handy while I'm working and even in the middle of a scene for my fantasy work, something will pop into my head on one of the other ideas begging for my attention. I have pages of notes, thoughts, suggestions and scenes piling up. Since I sometimes need to write down notes for book three of my fantasy work, you can imagine how cluttered my notebook is getting. I just have to make sure I don't ever get any of them confused. It could make for a wild transition in the middle of a book.

On one hand, I suppose having ideas overflowing from your mind is a good thing. It is better to have too much to write than suffer writer's block. I've been lucky to have avoided any significant cases of writer's block. Does that mean I have really loud voices in my head? When I was little having a vivid imagination got me into trouble, now it is my source of inspiration.

I've lived with my fantasy characters for so long they are like family, I'm not in a hurry to bring their story to an end. However, these new friends just won't leave me alone. I'm definitely going to have to schedule some writing time with them so they don't get mad and leave in a huff. There is nothing more annoying than characters that get you started on a story and then give you the silent treatment.

Well, all the voices wonder why I'm writing a blog post rather than paying attention to them. Time to get back to work before one group or the other starts a war...hmmm? I wonder what would happen if...

More ideas, I hope they never end!

4 comments:

  1. Always follow the characters and ideas that are calling for your attention the loudest. They're trying to lead you somewhere, and if you don't listen to them sometimes they just go away. Sounds as though you have a number of wonderful adventures just waiting for you to join in. Go enjoy them!

    Darlene Craviotto
    AN AGORAPHOBIC'S GUIDE TO HOLLYWOOD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Darlene.

      Yes, I do think I have a number of exciting adventures to uncover and share. I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Darlene, get the ideas down while they are coming. If I don't do that, I can't get that particular wording I liked again, even if I remember the general direction. It sounds like an exciting journey. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so lost a great description or piece of dialogue because I didn't write it down the moment it popped into my head. As you say, even when you remember the general idea it is never quite the same.

      Thanks for dropping in, Cate!

      Delete