Friday, December 16, 2011

Write and learn

It's been a whirlwind of fun and excitement since releasing my book, The Path of Light. I didn't think past the getting it written part to how am I going to share it part. The promotion part of actually writing a book has been a surprise.

I'd avoided social media, because well, I'm not always so social. I like to curl up with a book or sit down and scribble out a story that's running through my mind. As social as I used to get was watching a baseball game or a basketball game and yelling at the TV screen.

The need to get the word about my book led me to learning the social media ropes, and I've been thrilled to meet so many other writers, people that love to read as much as I do, and even people that are as sports crazy as I am. All win/win for me these days.

Another surprise I've discovered since putting those finishing touches to my book, is all the feedback. It's becoming a nearly daily occurrence for my mom to offer me suggestions of what I should put into book two. She's never been much of a fantasy fan, but she did read my book and now she's got all these ideas. I said why doesn't she write her own book with all her ideas, she responds that her book wouldn't make sense. Well, with all the suggestions she's had I can understand why.

First she thought a talking animal would be just the thing. How about a talking fox, a skunk, a hawk, a ferret, a badger, or a rabbit? I said no, no, no and well, no. If a talking animal wasn't going to make the list, she had a new idea. How about a magic box that talks? Um, no. A magic hat? A magic sword? Each time I see her she's got a new suggestion.

I can only imagine the type of story all these magic and talking items would be. Uh oh! That's how it all starts, now I'm thinking. What would happen if a talking ferret with a magic sword met a hawk who found a magic box?

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. I get lots of ideas run past me about my series, and I don't even know what to say, really. The characters will let me know? I haven't thought that far ahead? Sometimes it's helpful, but usually the characters are the ones that come up with my ideas anyway. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. I have a basic story in mind, but as I write the characters develop the story for me. Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete